Sunday, May 06, 2007

Fat Man On A Bicycle/Lesser Know Bookplate Artists

I went to a library book sale last week not really expecting to find any hidden treasures and I hit the jackpot.I look for old beat up books that might have been overlooked by the herd of stampeding sex crazed booksellers who get up at ungodly hours , in order to wait on line one hour before the opening.They come equipped with high tech devices which they claim are used to scan ISBN numbers but I have always suspected they are really aliens communicating with their leader out in space. In any event, this trade card was tucked into a grungy book about sermons . Click on the image to enlarge.
I have very little information about the bookplate artists listed today, so your input would be appreciated. Sidney Alabaster engraved bookplates for very wealthy people in Suffolk County , New York during the 1920s and 30s. I have been told he also engraved for Tiffany.Three of his plates are illustrated and you can click on any image to enlarge.


Charles Selkirk(1855-1923) was an engraver who worked in Albany, N.Y. and like the others listed today , very little has been written about him.

Three Charles Selkirk Bookplates Shown Above.
Any additional information you have about these artists would be appreciated. Send it to Bookplatemaven@hotmail.com

Margaret Hardon Wright (1869-1936) etched prints bookplates and Christmas cards.Her married name was Mrs. James H. Wright and she lived at 371 Harvard St. in Cambridge.Click on the images to enlarge.

Here is a link to a new website by Lee Jay Stolzfus , about printing history in Lancaster County Pennsylvania. www.lancasterlyrics.com

If you click on his index on the left side of his site and select Jacob Staffer you will find much information about the bookplate artist David McNeely Stauffer. That's all for now. See you next week.

4 comments:

Dan Weaver said...

Love the fatman bookplate, but I am curious as to the title and author of the book of sermons.

Lew Jaffe said...

Dear Dan Weaver,
After I paid for the book I returned it to the clerk.Sorry, I do not remember the title.
Lew Jaffe

Anonymous said...

I live in Ipswich, MA and have been looking for information about M.H. Wright as she did etchings of various streets here. You have given me a lot of information. If I find out anything more, will let you know. I didn't know that she did bookplates, but that makes sense.

Tom Whitmore said...

Just found a batch of engravings by Margaret S. Wright, with a letter from her husband (dated January 13, 1931) sending the prints to The Print Corner in Hingham, MA. Her husband, James Hayden Wright, was an architect, address 88 Tremont Street in Boston. The telephone number was Main 7498. The six engravings are street scenes, most labeled as being in Boston.

The joys of Google and the internet, allowing me to find this years later! When I dig out the copy of The Swinging Caravan that Achmed Abdullah inscribed to Jean Wyck, the person to whom AA dedicated the book The Thief of Bagdad, with both their bookplates on facing pages, I'll send you a scan of it if you like....