Saturday, November 10, 2007

More Bizarre Bookplates/Thank You Dr.Radbill

When I started to get addicted someone suggested I contact Dr. Samuel X. Radbill who was in his eighties at the time and had a very large bookplate collection. I called him , introduced myself and we had a brief conversation which I will never forget. He said , Do you want to know the secret of building a world class collection ? It's simple, just outlive the other collectors.
At the time it amused me but as I get older and am buying the collections of departed friends his words come back to me.
This week I began sorting through a significant collection I purchased . The images shown are from the collection and need to be researched.
If you click on the Anne Kirkham Allen plate it will enlarge and you will see all kinds of little critters on the outer edges. If you know something about the owner or the artist please let me know.

The cat plate for GM is in some reference book I own but I can't recall which one it is. At first I thought it was by Gordon Graig but I just reviewed The Bookplates Of Edward Gordon Craig by John Blatchly and did not find it.

This, I assume is a punning plate for someone named archer.


If you want to find out who John Gawsworth was go to Http://www.javiermarias.es/REDONDIANA/JohnGawsworth.html


This weeks submissions to the bizarre bookplate contest are shown below.

The ode to a typewriter was submitted by Tom Boss-Click on images to enlarge.
The Dragon bookplate was designed and submitted by Jeff Gregory
The Gino Sabattini plate by Sergio Burzi was submitted by Nina Allen.
The bizarre bookplate contest will end on Saturday December 1st and the winner of the Jessie M. King bookplate will be announced on Sunday December 2nd. To enter the contest send your bizarre bookplate scan to Bookplatemaven@hotmail.com

I will be in Boston November 17th because two great shows are run in tandem .One for Antiquarian books and the other for books and ephemera. For more details follow these links:
See you next Sunday.
Update- Monday evening November 12th - I have listed 15 bookplates on Ebay. My seller name is bookplatemaven.


No comments: