Sunday, October 26, 2008

Writers and Bookplates

Exchanging duplicates with other collectors is one of the things I find most enjoyable in this little hobby I dwell on each week. In a recent exchange I received a copy of Sch├Ątze der Exlibriskunst
by Heinz Decker (Isbn 3-925300-44-9). It was published by The German Exlibris Society
http://www.exlibris-deg.de/
The book is profusely illustrated and belongs in your reference library if you are interested in bookplates used by writers.The section that I found most interesting is called Erfundene,dedizierte und postume Dichterexlibris (loosely translated, with the assistance of Google it means invented and dedicated posthumously ) . Some of these "honorarium" plates are illustrated below.
I have unknowingly bid for several of them on Ebay .


James Joyce (1882-1941) by Johnny Friedlaender

Thomas Mann (1875-1955) by Emil Preetorius


Sir Arthur Conan Doyle( 1859- 1930) D.F.A. Sc , K.L.G.,Fec.





George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950) by Michel Fingesten



Edgar Allen Poe (1809-1849) designer unknown
Here is a link to Claus Wittal , a very knowledgeable dealer and publisher who can assist you in ordering this book.
While I am wearing my book reviewer hat I would also recommend Books, A Memoir by Larry McMurtry. It has nothing to do with bookplates but if you like browsing in antiquarian bookshops you will probably enjoy reading this book.
See you next week.




No comments: