Friday, June 01, 2012

Bookplate Artist Profile/ Lisa Haderlie Baker

Note From Lew Jaffe
  I initiated contact with Lisa Haderlie Baker because I was impressed with the quality of her designs.. If you would like to see more of her artwork or contact her about designing a bookplate here is a link :

                                       Lisa Haderlie Baker, Illustrator and Bookplate Designer

I have worked as an illustrator and graphic designer for the last 40 years. My first bookplate for Stanford University was created for my parents in 2000.
My father worked at Stanford’s Hopkins Marine Station, in Pacific Grove, California, for over 50 years. After my mother’s death in 1998 he set up a memorial book fund at the Hopkins Library in both of their names, and he asked me if I could design a bookplate for the collection. In the mid-1960’s he had sailed for three months throughout the South Pacific aboard Te Vega, Stanford’s marine research vessel. Te Vega is an elegant two masted sloop, built in 1929, and has had many owners (and almost as many names) since Stanford sailed her through Micronesia and Polynesia in 1965, when my Dad was aboard as a professor and researcher. It was an incredible experience for a marine biologist, and he decided he would like an image of Te Vega under full sail on the bookplate I designed for him.

This was more challenging than it appears. Dad didn’t have any good photographs of the sailing ship from that era (this was before Wikipedia or the Internet, where now I can find lots of photographs of her). I had one grainy xerox of a black and white photo, and, a bit better, a pen and ink drawing I had done of her from the dock in Oahu in 1965, when I was fourteen years old!
Using these two images I drew a new pen and ink illustration on vellum of the ship in full sail, surrounded by a vintage border that has elements that evoke marine life (starfish and chitons, or maybe nudibranchs). The image is printed in navy blue on ivory stock. For the past twelve years it has been placed in books on marine science in the Hopkins library, bought every year through the Eugene C. and Aileen E. Haderlie Memorial Book Fund.
This of course was a labor of love for me, but it happily led to many more commissions from Stanford University Libraries. First, another book fund for the marine station, commissioned by a donor who liked the one of Te Vega, then through word of mouth and the recommendations of the library staff to many more bookplates for a variety of donors in many branches of the Stanford University Library system. I have worked on bookplates for topics as diverse as Asian studies, ancient Judaica, Polish literature, mineralogy, statistics, European history and the history of California, poetry, antique maps, physics, and mathematics.

To create the bookplates I have used photos and objects supplied by donors, created original pen and ink and watercolor illustrations, collected typography and borders from a variety of eras to use as needed, plus using Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator to create the final design.

Every bookplate project is fascinating for me. They are tiny artistic ventures covering a whole world of topics, interests, and personal history, and every one is a new adventure for me as the designer

For more information about this very capable artist follow this link:

On Sunday June 10th,  I  plan to write about the wonders of the Internet.
.See you then.

No comments: