Sunday, January 07, 2007

Part Of My Brain Is Stuck In World War Two

This is a 328 year old bookplate , which I purchased at Papermania.It is the oldest dated bookplate in my collection. From our friends at Wikipedia I learned the following about it's original owner : Sir Robert Clayton (1629-1707) was born in Northamptonshire,England. He became an apprentice to his uncle and along with a fellow apprentice, eventually established the bank, Clayton & Morris Co. He prospered and by 1697 was lending money to the king to pay for the army. For more details go to Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Clayton

Last week I showed the front of an aluminum owl bookmark. Two people wrote to me inquiring about the message on the reverse side. Here it is. Click on the image to enlarge it.

I was at Papermania in Hartford, Connecticut yesterday . The selection of bookplates available was impressive and I will be busy for several weeks sorting through them. Of the approximately 200 bookplates I purchased , the one that intrigued me the most is shown below.Nothing fancy, but it sets my mind in motion. It came from a Mr. Althouse whose collection was formed in the 1920's and 30's. He corresponded extensively with librarians and kept meticulous notes. This plate came from Miss Mary P. Pringle , librarian. A Google search indicates that she was the librarian at the University of Hawaii from 1928 through 1943. So, she was active during the bombing of Pearl Harbor. I wonder if these plates were torn up or pasted over by the library administration after the attack. ? Did the members of this organization get swept up in the mass arrests at the time and get sent to concentration camps? Some one out there maybe able to answer these questions for me . As I say in the headline, part of my brain is stuck in World War ll. Some time in February, I plan to write about the bookplates used in the libraries of science fiction writers and collectors.I have a fairly impressive group of writer's plates but not very many from collectors . Your scans for possible inclusion would be appreciated.Send them to Bookplatemaven@hotmail.com



1 comment:

Pete said...

Lew, thanks for the followup, though I was really hoping the "words to the wise" would be something more philosophical and thoughtful than a simple sales pitch.