Sunday, April 15, 2007

From Norwich U.K. to Jerusalem

Sarah Spooner and Jon Gregory are two print makers based in Norwich U.K. who work with wood engravings, woodcuts and linocuts.The Woodman bookplate below is one of their recent projects.They write that "as a general guide ,a set of 50 hand -printed bookplates(4 x 3 inches) from a original engraving would cost $150.00 (not including delivery)" Their website is http://www.spoonergregory.plus.com/

Leonard Baskin was an American sculptor, painter, print maker,book designer and ephemera collector who did some very striking bookplates with Jewish themes.

Somewhere in the back of my head I know who designed this very powerful bookplate for the American Friends of the Hebrew University .In Fact, the artist's signature ( In Hebrew) is on the plate.You can click on the image to enlarge it. In any event, I will let you know when I find out. Update- Bob Weinberg , just refreshed my memory.The bookplate is by Arthur Szyk (1894-1851).


This bookplate below was engraved by Joris Mommen of Belgium



The two bookplates shown above were designed by Ephraim Moses Lilien (1874-1925)




I have always liked bookplates with Jewish themes or symbols.It is a niche within a niche which perhaps five people focus on. Within my collection there are some favorites which I have illustrated and as always , your input is encouraged.




Two excellent books on Judaica bookplates are Illustrated Essays On Jewish Bookplates by Philip Goodman and Jewish Book-Plates by A.M. Haberman

No comments: