Saturday, February 28, 2009

Collector Profile,Richard Schimmelpfeng



My Background: I’m a Midwesterner, from the Chicago area. I attended Lake Forest College and the University of Illinois and then took a M.S. degree in Library Science from Columbia University. I worked at Washington University in St. Louis for ten years, then came to the University of Connecticut in Storrs in 1965, where I started the Rare Books and Special Collections Dept. in the Library. I retired in 1992 and have since volunteered as a cataloger in the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center.

How I Started Collecting Bookplates: I taught the history of printing and rare books in addition to my regular job and in 1971 realized what a delight bookplates are. I contacted Audrey Arellanes who was editor for the ASBCD and began my connection with bookplates. It was Audrey who got me to index the society publications. My first real collection of bookplates was acquired from Mary Alice Ercolini, whom I knew, and that led to exchanges and purchases from other collectors here and abroad. My collection now contains many many thousands of exlibris, mostly from the 1880’s to the present.

What I Collect: My collecting interests are primarily pictorial plates in all media, although I admire wood engraving and etching. The current bookplates created in color etchings from Eastern European artists are particularly admired and I collect the work of E.D. French, the Spenceleys, A.N. Macdonald, W.F. Hopson, Sherborn, and the later European artists Reuter, Reitsma Valenca, Vannuccini, Bulder, Estiarte and many many more. The work of Australian and New Zealand artists is another interest and I have a major collection them. I have a reference collection of more than 600 titles as well as periodicals. The arrangement of my bookplates is by artist.
In addition to exlibris I collect modern paperweights, books on calligraphy, examples of fine printing from private presses, books on fables, and the writings of Terry Pratchett.



Elizabeth Watson Diamond was a remarkable collector. She commissioned many artists to create bookplates for her library.These are two outstanding examples.The horse head was done by Paul Landacre in 1939. It is illustrated on P.42 in The Golden Era of American Bookplate Design by William E. and Darlene J. Butler. Dr. Butler states (and I agree ) that "This is a bookplate which can readily be classified as a print."

The punning bookplate was done in the early 1940s by Kálmán Kubinyi of Cleveland Ohio .

I have listed these two items on Ebay and if you are an impulse buyer here is a link:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbookplatemavenQQfrppZ50QQfsopZ32QQfsooZ2QQrdZ0 On March 2nd I will post the winner of the tattoo bookplate contest. It is now Saturday evening (7:30 P.M. E.S.T.) so if you get off your butt there is still time to submit your entry. Scroll down to my January 31st posting for all the details.
3/2/2009 Update. The winner is Keith Scheid.
His winning entry is: "The College Of Arms"



No comments: