Sunday, March 15, 2009

Blank Book Labels

I picked up the floral Art Nouveau T L bookplate yesterday. It was in a French art book published in 1905 and bound by a binder in Sweden. Not much to go on. I have narrowed the field somewhat. It did not belong to Toulouse-Lautrec . Do any of you recognize it?

Click On Images To Enlarge

Click On Images To Enlarge

A book consisting of clean or ruled leaves for writing or making entries, with printing limited to page headings and/or divisions Examples include diaries, albums, scrapbooks, guestbooks, sketchbooks, account books, minute books, log books, exercise books, etc. Because the information recorded in official blankbooks may be of permanent value, good-quality paper and durable bindings are generally used. A blankbook should open flat for ease of use. Also spelled blank book.

There must have been thousands of Blank Book manufacturers . They were printers , binders , booksellers, stationery stores and suppliers for the retailers and factories throughout the world.

Many of them pasted advertising labels on the inside front covers.

The collecting fungus from outer space that has infected my brain must have been responsible for my interest in these obscure items . I buy them whenever I can so if you have some for sale, I am an easy mark.


Another Digitized Bookplate Collection

"Hello,I work for the University of British Columbia's Rare Books and Special Collections and we're digitizing our Thomas Murray bookplate collection at the moment. I love reading your blog. It has made me really curious about our holdings. We love getting feedback,especially if someone has a matching bookplate or more information for us. Take a look our what we have up so far Cheers! Eileen Hogan "

That's about all for today. See you next week.

No comments: