Sunday, April 03, 2011

Magician's Bookplates

The one shown above is one of my favorites.
http://www.miraclefactory.net/mpt/view.php?type=mc&id=85
The link shown above contains an excellent checklist of magician's bookplates.
I am using a new browser (Fire Fox 4) and some links are not automatically activated.I have to confer with my seven year old grandson to get   this straightened out.    In the meantime, you can copy and paste it.
 The plate for Dunninger was done by Mahlon Blaine
 Everyone knows this guy.
 Mr. Zufall like Dunninger was a psychic entertainer.

 I prefer the bookplates with striking images and July 4th colors.
In the 1920's and 30's many Hollywood celebrities used bookplates.The same is true of magicians and magic book collectors..I have scanned a few of my favorites and would welcome additional scans which will be added to this posting.. Send the scans to Bookplatemaven@hotmail.com

I will be in New York City on Friday April 8th attending two book shows.If you plan to be in the city that day and have bookplates for sale or trade I would love to hear from you.
See you next Sunday

If memory serves me right I believe the plate shown above was the first magician's plate I ever got.
The Li-Chung-Soo plate is  in the Cory Shull collection..
Hopefully , I will find one to add to my own collection

2 comments:

craig ballantyne said...

excellent post

ex-libris-brasil said...

Dear Lewis,
Congratulations! These magician's bookplates are quite nice.
Regards,
Luiz (bookplate collector and also a magician)