Sunday, May 15, 2011

Four Mystery Bookplates and Two Solved Mysteries

Last week I mentioned a new book by Martin Hopkinson , ExLibris The Art Of The Bookplate.
My copy has arrived and it is most informative. The A E Carthew bookplate  was purchased several months ago and no one recognized it .It is illustrated and described on page 99.. Here is what I learned : The plate was designed by Joseph Hecht for Alice Grace Elizabeth Carthew .The inscription in an old Celtic language is Let us be wise without guile and the bird standing on a rock is an Auk.

The AWA plate has a notation on the reverse side "American Woman's Association, New York"
Does anyone out there know anything about the artist or the organization? 
Update 5/16/2011
Fellow Collector/Dealer Tom Boss Has advised me that the AWA plate was designed by Laurence Houseman

My contact information is

Bookplatemaven@hotmail.com

The cypher used by the artist who designed The Chicago Little Theatre plate is unknown to me.Click on the image to enlarge.
 
 The Thomas Craig plate amuses me,The artist is J.D.L. I don't have a clue about the artist or the owner.


In 2009 I listed the two Kellogg foundation plates This week.Mr Robert H. Shirkey sent me the following information for which I am most appreciative.:
"I happened across your blog when I "Googled" Grace Hoyt.
  You mention that you do not know anything about the artist.  I suspect given the location of the Kellogg Conpany and Foundation in Battle Creek, that the artist, Grace Hoyt, was from Lawton, Michigan.  .  She was a local artist and  an art instructor.  I knew her as my second grade teacher in about 1954 and a friend of my family."

Of all the unknowns  mentioned today, the FAB (EAB?) rabbit  is the one that puzzles me the most. I know I have seen it somewhere but can't remember where.

UPDATE 5/16/2011


Lee Sanders has advised me that the EAB plate belonged to Ernest A. Batchelder, the Pasadena California Arts & Crafts tile designer

The following information was sent by David Lowden

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Theatre_Movement, crediting Chicago’s Hull House, a settlement house.

I have come across many programs booklets by the Little Theatre from the late teens and early twenties with nice graphics.  Big names in the Chicago little theater movement were Kenneth Sawyer Goodman (for whom the “Goodman Theatre” was named – see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodman_Theatre ) and Thomas Wood Stevens, who was a founder of the Blue Sky Press and famous for working with public pageants around the country.

See you again , next week


No comments: