Sunday, September 25, 2011

California Bookplates For Exchange

Four Bookplates by James Webb

One of the things I enjoy most about this peculiar hobby is exchanging duplicates with other collectors.
Although I am not usually at a loss for words I have difficulty precisely describing why I enjoy exchanges so much. The words that come to mind don't capture what I feel with precision but the best I can do for now is to say it is very gratifying .
Years ago when I was more involved with art pottery and ceramic tiles California artists were my favorites. This has carried over to bookplates. Many of these bookplates are by California artists or for California residents or institutions.

These two are by Leota Woy

These two are by Paul Landacre

If you would like to learn more about the bookplates of California I would recommend
Historic Bookplates In California by Clare Ryan Talbot

9/30/2011- I traded the Huntzinger plate shown below with fellow collector Jim Lewis and he was kind enough to send the following information:
"I stopped by the library and looked the former address of Ada Thacher Huntzinger, and then went by the place to see what is still extant.
The address is 1180 Shenandoah Rd. in San Marino, just over the border from Pasadena. It is a huge, beautiful house and as you can see from the attached photo, the gateway still looks as it did when the bookplate was made. As I recall, the Thachers were Colorado mine money."

Upper left (with Scottie) by Olive Percival

Okay, if you see something you can't live without send me an Email about your duplicates for possible exchange.. I also have many other American and English bookplates for exchange. Let me know what you are looking for.

Two Plates By John Comstock

On another note, this months Antiques magazine( Sept./Oct ) has an interesting article about The Whiting Manufacturing Co. where E. D. French was employed.I mention this because one of the illustrations in the article shows the carry over from his silver engraving days to his bookplate engraving.

No comments: