Sunday, November 13, 2011

Flying Blind In Boston

 Paste paper design
 Gilded Leather Bookplate dated 1763
 6th edition of Palm Garden with gilded gauffred edges
I spent two frantic days in Boston attending two shows and have several purchases to show you.
The most interesting item was bought on instinct.  I am a babe in the woods when it comes to 18th century German  books.When I got home I did find a copy on the German Ebay site .which recently sold for 13 Euros;
The listing did not mention any of the extra touches which I sensed were unique. Fortunately, fellow collector Richard Schimmelpfeng is very knowledgeable and was very helpful in explaining some of the finer points about the extra touches which were added to the book.
.The design .on the end papers is called paste paper Think of finger painting.
Here is a more detailed explanation :
The edges are gilded gauffered. Here is a detailed explanation of the process.

My original intent was to do some research and ultimately sell the book .Now that I have examined it more carefully my inclination is  to have it restored by an expert and keep it.
If you have some useful information about the book  please send it to me.

 I have a few golf themed bookplates and this one came with the following dealer notation:
T.S. Adams went to Yale, Johns Hopkins but mostly. played golf.
The calling card shown below came  from Tom Boss. I am assuming Mr Waterhouse was an engineer for the Grand Trunk Railroad,
American Indian themed bookplates are always of interest and this one for Charles H. Glidden has lots of clues in the design  about the owner . He was a Mason, a Republican and was involved with product which is trade marked "fasteners that fasten".
Many years ago I purchased a glass eye at the Maryland Microscope show. It sits in a drawer and every once in a while I look at it and it looks back at me.Fellow collector/dealer Tom Boss brought some ephemera to the show and you guessed it one of the items related to glass eyes.How could I not purchase it ?

That's about all for now. See you soon.

No comments: