Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Bookplate Odds and Ends 8/26/2015

Fellow collector Bill Glaseman sent me scans of two silent film star bookplates.


Here is a link to the Hollywood Notables site which I try to update periodically.
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=4000671609990801631#editor/target=post;postID=1275466050913659286;onPublishedMen
u=allpos

. If you have any Hollywood bookplates not posted on the site please send me scans and they will be added .
Bookplatemaven@hotmail.com

Bebe Daniels


Lilian Gish


Fellow Collector Jim Hier sent this information:

"Lew -

Hope this email finds you well. The other day I was in downtown Portland and saw an interesting window display (clothing store Marios) that I thought you might find interesting. Notice anything familiar?

Jim Hier"
Not only do I see my own bookplate but I see at least one other that I've posted.
My assumption is that the images were copied from the internet and blown up so they could be seen more clearly.

Collector/Dealer Richard Thorner  found a rare early American bookplate Engraved by Joseph Callender.I will add biographical information about the owner George Searle when it is verified. 

Mr. Searle may have been a heraldic artist from Newburyport Mass.


James Keenan Sent this information:



FREE e-Directory download is available for a limited time on as we prepare for the new expanded edition.
BOOKPLATES: THE ART OF THIS CENTURY~~An introduction to contemporary marks of book ownership! 

ENJOY this FREE illustrated artist directory download at  
In this FREE 530-page, illustrated edition:

  • There are 130 artists, representing 31 countries. Over 300 bookplate images.
  • Quotations from collectors and artists regarding the future of bookplates.
  • Foreword by Cliff Parfit, a highly regarded expert in this field (UK)
  • Introduction by James P. Keenan, Director, ASBC and D (USA)
  • Front Cover art by Nurgül Arıkan (Turkey)

Note from Lew

I am sorting through a collection which I recently purchased.
This is one of  my favorites . The scan does not pick up the color gold very well .I call it an angling punning plate. The artist's initials are HEB . Does anyone know who that might be?


No comments: