Sunday, June 12, 2016

The Opposite of a Perfect Storm

Perfect Storm-"a detrimental or calamitous situation or event arising from the powerful combined 
effect of unique set of circumstances"

I contact many booksellers each week with a simple repetitive message.
I am a bookplate collector.Do you have an accumulation of loose bookplates for sale ?
More often than not the answer is no but I do have many bookplates in books. 
What are you looking for ?
I collect American bookplates . Can you scan any that you think are unique in books under $25.00

That resulted in my purchase of this bookplate:

" Very attractive illustrated huntsman's bookplate(with flying wild turkey framed in trees with rod and gun) on half-title page on which is printed In Memory of Austin Haight and Charles Haight. (Austin Haight wrote a well-regarded memoir, The Biography of a Sportsman.). Signed by the author on a card affixed to the front end paper. Overall a very good copy without dust jacket"
Several more scans were sent which did not appeal to me or I already had the plate.


 I then received this scan  and I purchased the plate.
I knew I had seen this plate somewhere so I wrote to Anthony Pincott and swiftly received this response:

"A copy in the Wright collection (disposed of through the Society) carried the note that the name Perceval M Fraser was written on the flyleaf of the book from which it came."
This was my final selection:
This is a scarce Rockwell Kent Bookplate.

It is illustrated (in red) on page 38 in Later Bookplates and Marks of Rockwell Kent

So there you have it I experienced the opposite of a perfect storm which as it turns out is called a Virtuous Circle


"The terms virtuous circle and vicious circle(also referred to as virtuous cycle and vicious cycle) refer to complex chains of events which reinforce themselves through a feedback loop.
 A virtuous circle has favorable results, while a vicious circle has detrimental results"
By the way,if you have unearthed wonderful bookplates lately send me some scans and a few words about the bookplate so I can add the information to this blog posting.
Bookplatemaven@hotmail.com




1 comment:

BeauW said...

Funny,
"A copy in the Wright collection (disposed of through the Society) carried the note that the name Perceval M Fraser was written on the flyleaf of the book from which it came."

That plate was disposed of to me. I later found another copy in the wild here in Montreal. The same art but the two plates are different sizes. Mr. Fraser's collection seems to have been well dispersed.