Sunday, January 22, 2017

Bookplates with Cartoons Part One

car·toon
kärˈto͞on/
noun
plural noun: cartoons
  1. 1.
    a simple drawing showing the features of its subjects in a humorously exaggerated way, especially a satirical one in a newspaper or magazine.

  2. I've selected a number of cartoonish bookplates and several done by cartoonists.
  3. Very few (if any) are humorous. Many of them seem to reflect a style of drawing popularized in the 1920s and 1930s

This is the earliest cartoonish American bookplate I have found.It was designed by Henry L. Stephens around 1840

Click on Image to Enlarge




Note From Lew
If you have any cartoon bookplates please send  scans to   Bookplatemaven@hotmail.com  and I wiil try to include them in part two , next week..
1/23/2017
I received the following note from fellow bookplate collector Debra Walker .
Hi Lew,
I am enclosing a scan of Walter J Wait (I believe the middle initial is a “J”)  by the cartoonist A D Condo. 

Note the poke at Roycroft.  I wonder why. 

No comments: