Fellow collector/ dealer Richard Thorner purchased the Holy Grail of presidential bookplates.
I received the following message from Mr. Don Dimock and I asked him to send some biographical information.
I have been sorting through a large collection built between 1930-1950 .It has many duplicates from England , France Germany,Italy Spain , Russia Australia and California.I would be interested in trading or selling the duplicates.
The Clinton bookplate is inscribed to Worthington White, a White House usher who worked there from 1980 to 2012. He and Clinton shared a love for golf. Richard
I received the following message from Mr. Don Dimock and I asked him to send some biographical information.
I don’t know if you want home made bookplates or not. I have always
made my own. I am sending you about all that I have left. I drew
these in the early 1980’s and printed them with a copy machine. The one
I used most by far is the one with the descending dove. I have a
shelf of books on swimming so I made the swimming bookplate, I usually
colored it by hand. I used the one of the book when I didn’t want a
figure. I almost never used the rest of them. You have my
permission to do anything you wish with them or just throw them away. It
is up to you. I enjoy what you post VERY much.
Dear
Lew,
I don’t
know what to say about myself. I
have had an adventurous life. I
changed careers a few times.
Presently I am 86 years old. I was born in a remote part of rural
Hawaii in March of 1930. I left
Hawaii for the last time in 1952.
After attending college in Colorado I spent the rest of my life here in
Oregon.
I have
always had an interest in books. My
present residence is full of books on a wide variety of subjects. I also have always had an interest in
art. I used to do oils. I changed to acrylics when they became
available. And I have always had a
profound interest in photography.
In recent years I have been doing wildlife photography. And I write. I used to do free-lance
photojournalism. That is no longer
practical. I began writing books
for a hobby years ago. I
self-published some of them. Before
computers I used to illustrate my books with line drawings. That is what prompted me to do my
bookplates that way I still come out with a hobby book every
year or two – or three. My recent
ones have all been illustrated with photography. Digital photography makes that
practical. For the last twenty
years or so all of my books have been poetry. Yes, I write poetry. None of my books are available
now.
I used
to be very active in masters’ sports such as running and swimming. I have a lot of books on running and a
shelf full of swimming books. That
is why I made the swimming bookplate.
I have
not made any bookplates since the 1980’s.
I am still using the one with the descending dove that I sent to
you. If I were to make bookplates
today they would almost certainly be a mix of photography and drawing. The logo I put on the copyright page of
my books began as a line drawing.
The same drawing is now in color and there are parts of it that are
photographs.
I have
done lots of wildlife photography in recent years. If I were to make any bookplates today
they would probably contain photos of birds and/or flowers.
Thank
you for your interest. I hope I
haven’t bored you. I wish you all
the best.
Don
Dimock
Notes From Lew- If you have any home made bookplates and you want them added to this blog posting send a scan to
Bookplatemaven@hotmail.com








No comments:
Post a Comment