Saturday, June 16, 2007

More Brooklyn Bookplates/Hugh & Margaret Eaton

Click On Images To Enlarge

I collected art pottery for several years . After a while I was able to recognize the output of many potteries ten feet away from a flea market table.
The familiarity that comes from touching , seeing and handling applies to the bookplates as well.

In the early 1900's Hugh and Margaret Eaton operated The Valhall Studio at 339 Halsey Street in Brooklyn.They produced Christmas cards, bookplates ,illuminated cards , etc.
Very little has been written about them so more research needs to be done.Hugh Eaton died in the 1920's but I am under the the impression the studio continued to operate for many years.

eBay Seller: bookplatemaven: Prints, Postcards Paper items on

I listed 25 bookplates for sale on Ebay this weekend.If you are curious simply click on the link above.

At the end of the month I will be in the Albany, New York area visiting family and going on to a " book village " in Delaware County (Hobart , New York). I still have some free hotel nights left but have opted to try something new( for me) , a bed and breakfast.
By June 30th I will be in Cooperstown ,New York for an antiquarian book fair.
If you are in upstate New York and have bookplates to sell or trade I would love to hear from you. My email is

See you next week.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

These are beautiful- it is great to see somebody still appreciates them!