Sunday, April 19, 2009

African American Bookplates

Countee Cullen (1903-1946 ) was an American poet. Here is a link to some biographical information about him:
http://www.english.illinois.edu/Maps/poets/a_f/cullen/life.htm

I do not know with absolute certainty that Robert Hughes is African American.

Let me explain that it was sold to me by an established bookseller who mentioned that Robert Hughes was a black playwright. Searching Google has led me to the Australian writer of the same name but none of his wives are named Amy. The plate was done by Leonard Baskin. Charles L. Blockson is a book collector/educator who was a pioneer in building a library of African-American literature which is now housed at Temple University
Here is a link to their site:

I have been unable to find any information about Reverend David C. Austin.



Paul Winfield (1942-2004) was an African American actor who received an Academy Award nomination for his portrayal of a fiercely proud sharecropper in the movie Sounder. His Antioch Publishing bookplate was designed by Rockwell Kent




Consider this a seed planting. I have put forth five (maybe four ) African American bookplates . Send me scans of any others in your collections along with any biographical information you might have and I will add them to this posting.
See you next week.

4/21/2009
A fellow collector sent these names of African Americans who used bookplates.
E.Franklin Frazier
William L. Dawson
Lewis Latimer
C.B. Powell
Jane D. Shackelford
Arthur Schomburg (two versions)
Charles H. Wesley




2 comments:

Robert Robbins said...

I recognize the Countee Cullen bookplate because I have a book from his library in my Rimbaud collection.

colines said...

Robert Hughes was an African-American educator and civil rights activist. There is a Charter School named after him in Springfield, MA.
-Hosea Baskin