Sunday, September 27, 2009

Edmund H. Garrett

This is a photo of Edmund H. Garrett of Boston Mass.(1853-1929) It was probably taken in the 1890's. He completed at least 83 bookplates during his lifetime. Fifty Seven of them are in a 1904 checklist which I have copied from The Bookplates of Edmund H. Garrett written in 1904 by William Howe Downes. Dr. William E. Butler has in his collection about 26 additional Garrett plates not listed below . I will try to get a list of those names for future publication. Most of the items I chose to scan are pictorial because of my own bias. He also did many armorial plates.
































Click On Image To Enlarge



































A growing number of institutions are digitizing their bookplate collections. Here is an one from the Jewish Theological Seminary in New York.
Next week I will be writing about bookplates and Detriot, Michigan.
See you then













1 comment:

MrCachet said...

These are really great! Thanks for posting them. I also followed the link to the meta collection, and I'll enjoy browsing it I'm sure.