Sunday, January 10, 2010

Back From Hartford

Pickings at Papermania were not as good as usual but I managed to find a few bookplates plus some great ephemera.The Uncle Sam Saint Patrick's day postcard grabbed me since it complemented some of the other Uncle Sam items I already had. It's interesting to compare the warm fuzzy Victorian Uncle Sam hugging a Magnolia ham to the no nonsense Uncle Sam from the second world war.
Here's a contemporary bookplate which  I got at the show, for someone who may be a biologist or perhaps a surveyor.The simple Google search which I assumed would solve the mystery was not so easy because Google is cluttered with many references to the other Robert Zimmerman (with one n) who you know as Bob Dylan.There is a Professor of Biochemistry at the University of Massachusetts who is a likely candidate and I will send him an Email after this posting is completed..
Speaking of candidates , I got this little give away because of the graphics. I assume it was given out to voters before an election. In this instance the Google search was simple.The 1855 election was held Agawam ,Massachusetts .
These  four bookplates were already in my collection but I purchased them for possible exchange or sale. Elsie F. Weil was a journalist and editor of Asia Magazine.This Hasty Pudding Harvard plate (Allen #356) was used around 1845,The Tulane plate was done by one of the Newcomb Pottery artists Elizabeth Goelet Rogers Palfrey.The Benno Lewinson plate is illustrated on P. 145 in Illustrated Essays on Jewish Bookplates by Philip Goodman.He mentions that  the Hebrew legend (meaning "through the light to light") is an acrostic of his initials..Click on the images if you wish to enlarge them.
UPDATES From Readers:   Hello...Given the stars in the Zimmermann bookplate, might that not be 
a sextant? There was a Robert Zimmermann who was a designer of ships
during the 19th century but that seems pretty early for that bookplate.
Cheers, Kate Doordan Klavan

From Dr. Robert Zimmermann
I just checked your interesting and colorful web site and have an observation. The instrument in the "Robert Zimmermann" bookplate appears to be a navigator's sextant rather than a surveyor's instrument. Maybe RZ is a sailor.

This was my best find. It is a stock certificate subscribed to by  students  for 10 cents a share in order to build a $12,000 vessel to sail around the Pacific and convert the "heathens". Unfortunately , it was built. Fortunately it sank about two years later.
Next week I plan to write about bookplate artists in New Orleans. See you then.

No comments: