Sunday, November 14, 2010

Back From Boston ,Part One

CLICK On Images To Enlarge No I am not taking ads on my blog. On the way up to Boston I was reading a local newspaper and this ad made me laugh out loud so I decided to show it. I am somewhat overwhelmed today so I will make this short and sweet . My plan is to research a few more of the plates I purchased and post them on Monday.
This is the Mystery bookplate I brought back from the show. The only thing I know about it is that it was purchased in England. Does anyone out there have any information about the owner Oliver Daly?

The Boston trip was a smashing success.I found a number of interesting items and was able to purchase an 18th century American bookplate which is quite scarce plus an early 19th century engraved American Reward of Merit also not often seen in private collections.


John Allen was a Boston bookseller and publisher of The News -Letter


His bookplate was engraved before 1730 (Charles Dexter Allen #13)


Ref.P 43-44 Vol.1 Journal of the Exlibris Society





This Reward of Merit for Miss Ogden, a student at Madame Binsse's Academy was engraved by Thomas Gimbrede "He was Born in France in 1781; died at West Point, New York 1832. Gimbrede came to the United States in 1802 as a miniature painter;but he was engraving some excellent portraits in the stipple manner for the New York publishers John Low and William Durell as early as 1810.In 1816 he had an office at 201 Broadway, New York and he furnished a considerable amount of work for the Philadelphia magazines, The Port Folio and The Analectic . On January 5, 1819 Thomas Gimbrede was appointed drawing master at West Point and he remained in that position until his death. He continued to engrave ; however,until late in his life .as we find portrait plates engraved and published by him in 1831."

Ref. Fielding Dictionary of American Painters Sculptors and Engravers P.139

Madame Binsse's Academy was a ladies finishing school catering to the offspring's of the elite. Tuition was $600.00 per year.
That is about all I want to say right now. I will be back on Monday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been filling in some details on Madame Binsse, including the fact that she taught Caroline Schermerhorn (Mrs. Astor) and was described by Caroline Carson, another student as being "a fat lady, a very fat lady." (News, I was less than enthused to receive.) Also, Royal Cortissoz, enemy of the Armory Show, discussed her effect on John LaFarge mentioning that she was devout in her faith although not being a rubricist. Her husband was a miniaturist in his own rite and apparently taught LaFarge in his earliest attempts at painting. Madame Binsse had an effect on her coiffeur, Pierre Toussaint, I believe. She was a Bourboniste in her sympathies and we find that LaFarge, her grandson kept a portrait of Henry V, the Count of Chambord on his bedroom wall.
Gimbrede's grave is at West Point where he taught drawing and engraving for 14 years. That last from Don Shelton, art historian.

James

The Binsse's lived at 40 Beach St., the southern perimeter of St. John's Park, the historic piece of greenery that was destroyed by Vanderbilt's freight terminal, 1866. The area of the Park/Terminal is now the exit ramp of the Holland Tunnel. I've been giving a tour (historical of the area for Municipal Art Society.

Anonymous said...

Madame Binsse's school is listed in NY Records at various places. She taught on Hudson and also Beach St. Her school is somewhat in eclipse to Madame Chegary's school, perhaps more prominent and longer lasting. I'm interested in the Binsse's because of Madame Binsse's coiffeur, Pierre Toussaint (1774-1853). Toussaint was regularly at the school to cut hair and probably also to teach dancing. Louis Francois Binsse, husband of Madame Binsse was a very close friend of Toussaint. I will discuss both of them in my book coming out next year. Thanks for adding to your post. Your plates are incredible for the window they open onto history.

Here is a link to Don Shelton for more on Gimbrede.
http://aminports3.blogspot.com/2008/04/gimbrede-thomas-portraits-of-man-and.html