Saturday, January 01, 2011

New Years Day 2011

It pleases me to share this letter with you. It has nothing to do with bookplates but reflects a time gone by when we were inspired by our leaders .Click on the image to enlarge.

It's a quiet day here in Philadelphia. No street traffic noise and a good time to think about the coming year. I find it hard to believe but this is the beginning of my fifth year as a blogger. My little weekend activity is for lack of a better word therapeutic. It also has enabled me to meet many new collectors. Here's wishing you all a very happy and healthy new year.

I have put together a group of new years cards for your enjoyment.

The card below was designed by the American architect Grenville Rickard (1889-1956)

The woodcut below was done by Josie Eresch (1894-1967) of Beloit Kansas

Frederick Starr (1858-1933) the American anthropologist had one of his bookplates engraved by J.W. Spenceley. For many years he sent new years cards to the noted American ephemera collector Bella Landauer

Here are a few links that may interest you. Dr. Wolfgang Rieger is a bookplate dealer in Germany who offers a number of bookplates each month. Here is his latest listing.
He is an excellent resource .

Like most of you I do not have the time to read all the book and ephemera blogs on a regular basis. The Americana Exchange is one that I do read religiously each month. The articles are well written and very informative.

Next week I plan to publish a collector profile from France. See you then.

No comments: