Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Bookplate Art of Joe Dragunas

I am always pleased to promote young artists .Joe  Dragunas sent me some information about  his bookplate designs. I sent him a few questions  which he promptly answered.


"Hello Lew!
 Thank you so much for doing this. I love bookplates, and am on a fierce campaign to bring them back into the mainstream. "



Joe Dragunas in his studio

At what age did you decide to become an illustrator ?

 I have been drawing since I was able to hold a crayon, and have illustrated my entire life, but it wasn't until my early thirty's until I decided to do it professionally.

Do you have any formal art training ?

I have no art training whatsoever, I am a firm believer in self teaching. As an artist you should explore every technique and style before you choose a medium you want to dedicate yourself to. I believe you should observe and learn, make the mistakes on your own, and emerge on the other side with your own personal style.

What technique do you use for bookplates ?

 All the illustrations and bookplates on my website are all done with a brush and ink. I use a very fine, size 00 brush, and speedball ink. Unless there is a straight border, then I use a rapidograph technical pen, but as I said that's only for the borders.

Can you send me some jpeg examples of your favorites ?

As requested , here are some of my favorites. Many more examples can be seen at my website.
The website is set up so that you can actually order samples to touch feel and evaluate.


  The samples are all printed on high quality  acid free card stock, . I use a creamy color, to give an aged illusion.
.Here are some of my favorites:

                                                     Click on Images to Enlarge










The website has prices for individual bookplates .Do you have pricing for larger quantities ?

 Unfortunately, the website does not allow for ordering multiple copies,   My email address is on the site and I would be pleased to discuss pricing for multiple copies with anyone who contacts me.

Have you designed any custom bookplates?

 I would be absolutely ecstatic to design  a custom bookplate. All my current designs are for my own amusement. 

Have you designed any bookplates for yourself , friends or family?

 I just finished one for My sisters wedding. She and her husband wanted an image with both a dragon, and a goat. to represent their last names. . They are both architects, so I worked a few appropriate tools into the design as well.
Heraldic designs are my all time favorite, so I decided to do a knight's crest with a goat head as the crest, and a dragon sprawled through the mantling. On the shield, I included the words "from the library of the Kosikowski's, est 2013" . 
The whole image is 2.75 inches by 3.75 inches. 


See you again on Sunday.

No comments: