Sunday, June 29, 2014

This Week in Bookplates 6/29/2014



Bookplate Exchanges
Getting together with other collectors and exchanging duplicates is, from my perspective one of the most enjoyable aspects of this peculiar hobby.
Skype also enables you to conduct these exchanges with collectors from all over the world.
If you wish to exchange duplicates with other collectors please send me a brief list of the artists, themes,countries time periods etc. that interest you. If you have a Skype number send that also.
This is important.I plan to publish a list of everyone who responds on a future blog posting.
If you do not want your contact information shown on the blog posting be sure to tell me.
Send your brief exchange want list to     Bookplatemaven@hotmail.com

From last week's blog posting about Bookplate exchanges I have received two responses thus far

Oliver Furrer
Hello,
Thank you for organizing this list of bookplate collectors for exchange of duplicates.
I am interested in armorial bookplates from Switzerland and France from 18s and early 19s centuries. I also have some German armorial bookplates I am ready to exchange.
My email address is      olivier.furrer@unifr.ch
 Skype id is: olivierfurrer.
Sincerely,
Olivier Furrer

Kevin Fry





I have no experience with this kind of thing and wasn't sure how to keep displaying new elements of a growing collection. I was looking for a framing or display system that is infinitely expandable, affordable, and doesn't require constant professional framing intervention .. or chew up wall space I don't have. 


I use acrylic magnet frames from Crate and Barrel. This method allows me to display endless numbers of bookplates, as long as I have spare shelf space. They are placed on bookshelves so they’re visually connected to the idea of books, and the frames are transparent so the display doesn’t really block the book collection. The bookplates sort of float in front. (None of them are in direct sunlight, of course.) These photos show a portion of my Rockwell Kent section … about 47 in total now. I keep other people’s plates on other bookcases on the other side of the room, so the Kent collection is unified.  

The acrylic frames, which use powerful tiny magnets to keep the two halves together, keep a tight, firm, flat hold on the paper, which I assume it’s a good way to keep them from harm, as long as they aren’t in direct line of a window. The plates remain completely undamaged (and easily removable) in this system since they aren’t really attached to anything. 

The frames you see here are all from Crate and Barrel and are 4” x 6”. They sell other sizes on their website and in their stores (http://www.crateandbarrel.com/acrylic-block-frames/f23183). For the Kent collection I want everything to be uniform in the display so they’re all in the same size frame no matter how big the bookplate is, although smaller frames are available and theoretically could be used and mixed and matched.

Although I have no duplicate Kent items for exchange at this time, I am interested in adding to my Kent collection.


My Own Want List
I am interested in English and American Leather bookplates and currently have the following duplicates for possible exchange:
  Bookplatemaven@hotmail.com


Two Interesting Links Sent In  By Blog Readers.

Lew , I hope you are doing well. I came across this website and figured  you would know about it already but thought it an excuse to say hi. Tim

http://blogs.princeton.edu/notabilia/category/bookplates/

Tim James
The American Bookbinders Museum
856 Folsom Street
San Francisco CA 94107


Hi Mr. Jaffe,
     My name is Ari and I work in the Genealogy, Local History and Rare Books and Special Collections department at the Cincinnati Public Library. I don't know if you've seen our collection of digitized book plates at our Virtual Library, but I think you might enjoy them. I really like your blog!
Best,
Ari Lavigne

Note From Lew- Both of the links are loaded with information and should be bookmarked.
See You Again Next Sunday.


No comments: