Sunday, September 21, 2014

Bookplate Odds and Ends 9/21/2014

It's been a productive weekend. On Friday I visited The Rittenhouse Art Show.
I went because Marina Terauds exhibits there. More often than not I buy one of her bookplates.
I was first made aware of  this very talented artist ten years ago when I exchanged duplicates with fellow collector Jo Ann Pari-Mueller. This is the bookplate I received in the exchange .
This was Jo Ann's  description "Marina Terauds was born in Russia,but lives in Michigan now.
She was delightful to work with.I wanted a "Collector's Cabinet" theme with my stuff in it,and she did a great job expertly creating the "vision".

The bookplate I purchased at the show is quite different from her usual work.It is a whimsical tribute to the owner Uldus Terauds who is a balloonist  and hang glider enthusiast..

 Here is Marina Terauds contact information:


On Saturday I visited an antique show and came away with some leather bookplates used by notable American book collectors.I currently have  for exchange some duplicates of the leather bookplate used by the American banker and collector  J.P.Morgan .

Mystery Bookplate

Does anyone out there know who was the owner of this leather plate?
While on the subject of mystery bookplates I want to encourage you to send your scans for possible identification  to
Earlier in the week fellow collector Richard Schimmelpfeng inquired about the identification of the artist who did this bookplate.

I contacted fellow collector Michael Kunze and he promptly responded as follows:

"The signature should indicate the German painter Julius Köhnholz (Bremen 1839 - 1925 Bremen), who had ties to the city of Kassel ("Cassel" before 1920) where he also had an exhibition. His name isn't mentioned in the bookplate references I have at hand.
The "Kunsthalle Bremen", a nationwide known art museum in Bremen, publishes a biography of Julius Köhnholz (or Koehnholz) in the net.   It seems Köhnholz was a well known and quite successful realistic painter, preferring motives / subjects showing mountains, rivers, and ships at sea. He loved dramatic  contrasts /light(darkness)."


No comments: