Sunday, February 25, 2007

California Bookplates/Maynard Dixon/Cecil B. DeMille


Many years ago I collected ceramic tiles and was drawn to art pottery and tiles by California artists. It was primarily the muted colors that fascinated me. There is something about the light in California that makes colors appear more vibrant. I thought about this recently when I purchased the R.F.McGraw bookplate by Maynard Dixon.
If you want to learn more about Maynard Dixon and the history of California bookplates there is an excellent new book published by the Book Club of California called California Bookplates . It is quite informative and well illustrated. The book costs $35.00 and is can be ordered directly by calling 800 869 7656 If you are outside the United States the Email contact is info@BBCBOOKS.ORG
Buy the book, you will not be disappointed.

Speaking of California, I woke up at 4 A.M. the other night and was drawn to the computer by some mystical force.The next thing I remember was looking at a "Buy It Now " listing on Ebay and thinking that I have been drawn to these objects by some divine intervention. How could I not get these ephemeral Cecil B. DeMille items . The bookplate is illustrated on page 233 of Historic California in Bookplates by Clare Ryan Talbot. That's another book you may want to consider purchasing.It was reprinted several years ago and you can get copies on ABE for under $20.00 . Mr. De Mille sent Christmas cards to friends that related to his films.









During the filming of The Ten Commandments critics were predicting the expensive film would be a turkey and that became the inspiration for the sphinx. The card was designed by Bruce Dussell.
That's all for now. I do have more airplane images and will post them next week when I return from the Washington Book show(March 2 & 3) at the Holiday Inn in Rosslyn , Virginia .
If you are in the Capitol area and have bookplates to sell or exchange , I would love to hear from you. My contact info. is Bookplatemaven@hotmail.com





1 comment:

Stefanie said...

You are right about the light in CA, it is a quality to be found in a good part of the southwest, the colors of rock and sand baked in the heat against a clear blue sky. Love the de Mille Xmas cards, especially the turkey sphinx.