Sunday, May 20, 2007

Bookplate Ramblings


Click On Images To Enlarge


What could be more boring then being subjected to watching a neighbor's home video of a trip to Disneyland with their grandchildren ? My assumption is that most people, after five minutes, have similar reactions listening to me go on about bookplates .
That's why it's so pleasurable to meet with fellow collectors who share your enthusiasm.Yesterday fellow collector and bookplate junkie James M. Goode visited me and and we talked about his ideas for a book covering thematic bookplates. He has a has already written several books about Washington Landmarks and I look forward to seeing this one completed. I will keep you posted as it progresses.
In preparation for the visit I sorted through boxes of duplicates and unearthed things that had been put aside for additional research.Some of these bookplate puzzles are shown in the scans and hopefully someone out there in cyberspace can help me in my research.

Rufus C. Dawes-There is a strong probability that this is the bookplate for Rufus Cutler Dawes (1867-1940) who had a distinguished career in industry and government .In 1932 he was appointed president of the Century Of Progress Worlds Fair Organization and was concurrently president of The Museum Of Science And Industry in Chicago. The artist's initials are J.C.
If you click on the image it will enlarge so that more details can be seen.

Henry Curwen Lord - I always have the feeling that I have seen this bookplate in one of my reference books but I can not pin it down. It is dated 1904 and the artist's initials are C.A.L.
What appears to be an astronomers observatory is in the background.

Emilie Palmer Reed- My gut feeling is that this is English circa 1890.The artist's initials are FZ.
The verse referred to at the base of the tree ,Revelation, Chapter 22, Verse 2 is as follows:
In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river , was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month:and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

Montgomery Major- I have a theory that bookplates are a snapshot of their owner's psyche so I am not sure I would ever want to meet this book lover, assuming he is still alive.In any event, the artist is Fox and camouflaged in the background are many women with bobbed hair .

See you next week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Henry Curwen Lord was Director of the EMERSON McMILLIN OBSERVATORY. Please see the following for all of the details:
http://www.phy.ilstu.edu/~wenning/McMillin/McMillin.html

Sincerely,

Steven.Troxel@comcast.net

Kate McIntire said...

Henry Curwen Lord, PhD (1866-1925)devoted his entire professional life to education and research, largely Astronomy; was elected a Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society in 189; and married Edith Hudson--a direct descendant of another gentleman whose life was spent guided by the heavens: the explorer, Henry Hudson. His bookplate is glorious.

I enjoyed your site and didn't nod off once.