Sunday, May 13, 2007

Retirement / Wild Bill Donovan & John Barry

If the truth be told I never enjoyed working all that much but I rolled with the punches , made a decent living and was fairly successful. Now I find that retirement is not all it's cracked up to be either. My psyche needs more stimulation than I get from this way of life. What works for friends and colleagues does not fit me well . I have no interest in golf and doing volunteer work offends me.
On the other hand, I do enjoy having the time, energy and good health to explore whatever strikes my fancy and have just registered to attend Book Expo 2007 at the Jacob Javits Convention Center in New York City on June 1st. My primary interest is a 10 A.M. panel discussion about book related blogs. Later that day I also plan to attend the West Side Loft Book Fair Http://

The other night I watched a movie called The Good Sheppard which is based in part about Wild Bill Donovan "the father of American Intelligence ". His character was played by Robert DeNero.
It got me to thinking about a1950's foreign policy paperback which I picked up in Washington D.C. several years ago .The bookplate pasted in it (I decided ) belonged to Wild Bill Donovan but it was and still is only wishful thinking.This week I will contact Cornell University where many of his papers are housed to verify whether my assumption is correct.
Another bookplate which falls into the same bucket is an 18th century armorial for John Barry . It is listed in the Franks collection as #F1657 and the dealer who sold it to me thought it might be from the library of Commodore John Barry, the father of the U.S. Navy. I will investigate that one also.
That's about all for today.

5/15/2007 Commodore Barry Update

Mr. John Titford , a fellow bookplate junkie and professional genealogist was kind enough to do some research on my behalf and with his permission I am quoting parts of his email.

The plate is not Franks 1657...but is Franks 1658, Barry , next to Jackson quartering?Lehoop.
The arms of the husband , Barry are alongside those of his wife, in a fashion known as "Accole".
Commodore John Barry was born in Ireland(Bacumshane), but married ladies with the surnames Clary/Cleary and then Austin (not Jackson). So this CANNOT be his bookplate.

No comments: