Saturday, July 21, 2007

Bookplate Odds And Ends/ Heraldry/Winston Churchill

The study of heraldry requires a discipline and focus which, unfortunately I do not possess.
From time to time when stumped I turn to , Mr. John Titford , a professional genealogist who for a modest fee usually gets results. Here is what he wrote about the "Libertas"plate which I recently added to my collection.
"Clues:
The coronet is that of a BARON
The motto is used by various families , including EVANS

The "Ordinary" at the back of the Franks volumes gives the three boar's heads arms as EVANS

Then I used the impaled arms on the right to work out the man via his wife.

The fretty arms with an ermine canton are for the family of Noel, Earls of Gainsborough. So I looked up this family in a printed peerage and looked at which men the daughters were marrying till I found the right one.

On 7 February,1760, Lady Juliana Noel, daughter of the 4th Earl of Gainsborough, married the third Lord Carbery.
His surname is EVANS, so he is the right man and it's his plate.

You'll find that it's FRANKS *9980 "

* British Museum Catalogue of the Franks Collection of British & American Bookplates

John Titford's email address is J.Titford@zen.co.uk
Please keep in mind that he does these searches for a fee.




Click on the images to enlarge.
This ad has nothing to do with bookplates but it is so well done I wanted to include it in today's posting , which happens to be my 100th . Over 33,000 visitors have come to the site since I began.
Creating a blog is very therapeutic and I suspect that feeling is not uncommon among blog writers.
To get back on track, Winston Churchill , the statesman did not use a bookplate. If you are offered one with St George slaying a dragon it belonged to Winston Churchill the American author.


Before computers , DVDs, T.V.s , and Radios firehouses had well stocked libraries and some of them used bookplates. The two shown above are typical. At least three engine companies in New York City had water witch in their names during the 1800's .
In my research I also discovered that water witch was a fairly popular name for pubs in the U.S. and England as well as three 19th century U.S. naval vessels.

Next week I should have the itinerary for the October Washington D.C bookplate excursion hosted by Mr. James M.Goode. See you then.

No comments: