Saturday, July 14, 2007

Newspaper Publisher's Bookplates

I have no idea if Sir Robert Maxwell (1923-1991) used a bookplate but this rogue was so much larger than life that I had to put him on top of my list. At the height of his career he owned among other things, The Mirror Group of Newspapers, Macmillan Publishing (U.S.) , The Berlitz School Of Languages, The Pergamon Press and much more. He was an active agent for the Mossad while simultaneously selling compromised software to the intelligence agencies of several Arab nations . Are you surprised that his corpse was found floating in the ocean off the Canary Islands?
If you are looking for a great book to read, get a copy of Robert Maxwell Israel's Super Spy by Thomas Gordon and Martin Dillon. You will not be able to put it down once you start.
James Edmund Scripps (1835-1906) This bookplate was designed by Albert Kahn and engraved by Edwin Davis French in 1896
CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE
Joseph(1847-1911) and Elinor Pulitzer designed by E.B. Bird
Ralph Pulitzer (1879-1939 ) was married several times and had different bookplates for each wife. This one comes in two sizes and was designed by Rockwell Kent.
William Randolph Hearst (1863-1951) had two sizes of this bookplate. It was designed by William H. Wilke and printed by John Henry Nash
William Maxwell Aitken (1879-1964) (Lord Beaverbrook) used Acheson Batchelor to engrave his bookplate.
Robert R. McCormick (1880-1955) had his bookplate designed by Carl Junge of Oak Park Illinois.

One of the nice things about writing a blog is having the freedom to change directions on impulse.
I was going to write about bookplates from fire departments (this is for real) until I starting reading about Conrad Black's conviction.That got me thinking about all the publishers who used bookplates and putting them all together in one place, in such a way that the posting could be expanded with your comments and input. I will be updating this posting throughout the week.
You are encouraged to submit comments

4 comments:

Alison said...

I don't know if he did use a bookplate.

I can find out though, as I have a friend, who worked on sorting out Maxwell's legacy.

They would know.

I don't have a bookplate myself.

Lew Jaffe said...

Thank you Alison.That would be appreciated.
Lew Jaffe

Pete said...

I really like the Scripps one, but leave it to Colonel McCormick (whom my literary hero, Nelson Algren, derided in print as "Colonel McGooseneck") to have his bookplate serve as a self-wallowing ode to his ostentatious country estate.

Alison said...

She says that she's never seen a bookplate.