Saturday, July 28, 2007

Support Your Local Bookseller

Click On Image To Enlarge

Every time I turn around another bookseller has closed up shop because of

higher rents,

competition from the Internet ,
not enough foot traffic to justify all the expenses, etc.
It is always refreshing to hear about a bookseller who bucks the tide, and invests his hard earned money to buy a new building to better display all sorts of books and ephemera.
When I stopped by The Archive this morning , Dale Mechalas, the proprietor was busily emptying shelves and packing boxes so I immediately thought this was going to be another shop closing. Not so, Dale just bought a large building in Lansdale, Pennsylvania and I look forward to visiting his new shop. Here is his website
While I was at the Archive I purchased the Philadelphia tax receipt shown above.If you examine it closely perhaps it will bring a smile to your face.
I normally update the blog on Sunday morning.This week I updated it on Thursday (Kathleen Winsor) so this will be a somewhat abbreviated posting.
Two booksellers from Germany sent me updated electronic bookplate catalogs this week.They are as follows:
That's all for now. See you next week.

No comments: