Friday, October 05, 2007

Bizarre Bookplate Contest 2007/Jessie M. King Prize

This original bookplate by Jessie M. King will be sent to the winner of the bizarre bookplate contest. The Definition of Bizarre.

Click On Images To Enlarge

James M. Goode a fellow bookplate collector in Washington D.C. sent me a scan of the Sydney Prentice bookplate shown above and asked me if I had any other bizarre bookplates. The only one I could locate is shown below. By the way, if you know anything about the artists or owners of either plate please let me know.

I have decided to have a Bizarre bookplate contest and the Prentice plate will be entry #1

Here is how the contest will work. Send me a scan of the most bizarre bookplate in your collection . It needs to be received no later than Saturday December 1st, 2007 ( one submission per person). The judges(Mary and Lew Jaffe) will select a winner, who will receive an original bookplate by Jessie M. King . Any plates that offend me may be excluded from the contest.
Each week I will show the most recent submissions. Send your scans to

UPDATE Thanks to Mr. Clifford Walker I now have the following information to add:
The Elsener plate was designed by Hans Eggimann (1872-1929)
Michael Kunze sent me the following link with many examples of Eggimann's illustrations

See you next week.

No comments: