Sunday, January 27, 2008

Bookplates From The Hollywood Compost Pile,Chapter2

Geraldine Farrar was a well known opera singer who started a second career in silent films.Her bookplate was commissioned by Brentano's Paris and engraved by G.M.McCall in 1911
Douglas Fairbanks Sr.(1883-1939) and Mary Pickford (1892-1979) used a bookplate reflecting their Hollywood roles.


I wrote to Douglas Fairbanks Jr.(1909-2000) when he was still alive and he sent me an autographed bookplate.The plate was engraved by A.W. Turpin



Clark Gable (1901-1960) is certainly well known and will not be soon forgotten. I have included him in the compost pile because he was an interesting case study. He was an avid reader and read a book a day. The subject matter was quite eclectic , from fishing to Thoreau. He married six times and changed bookplates at least once. Kathleen was his fifth wife.





Click On Images to Enlarge The firm of J.E. Caldwell & Co. in Philadelphia contacted Rockwell Kent to design a bookplate for Nelson Eddy(1901-1967) but Mr. Eddy balked at the price of $250.00 so they hired a Rockwell Kent wannabee to design his plate. As I mentioned last week , film clips of the celebrities you never heard of can be seen on http://www.youtube.com/
Bookplate News Of the Week: Andy English has self- published a remarkable hand- made book about 25 of his bookplates. It includes many tip-ins and the limited edition will be sold out quickly.
See you next week with chapter three of Tales from the Hollywood compost pile.













1 comment:

Charles said...

Dear Sir, I wanted to congratulate you about your wonderful blog !
I am a French engraver, and, I think, one of the only young engravers (24 year-old) interested in bookplates. Although my website is not translated into english yet, I hope you will visit it and have a look at my "ex-libris" page. I took the liberty of putting a link toward your blog on my website. Please let me know in case you disagree with that idea. (and do not hesitate if you want to put a link toward my site, as it would rather help me)
Thanks again for your work,

Best regards,

Charles De Langhe