Sunday, November 30, 2008

Clark Gable Was A Book Collector/Who wasMontgomery Major ?

Audrey Arellanes used to live near Hollywood and would come up with remarkable celebrity bookplates for exchanges. From what I recall Clark Gable had a very fine collection of books about fishing. According to Audrey's notes she originally got the Kathleen & Clark plate from Justin Turner who was Gable's attorney in the 1960's . Kathleen Gable was originally Clark Gable's dramatic coach. I got the later Gable plate from James Pepper in Santa Barbara, California. He tends to get celebrity libraries.
http://www.jamespepperbooks.com/



My educated guess is that Wilfrid M. Langdon is English. His plate was done in 1908 and the artist's initials are A.W. Does it look familiar to you ? I've scanned four unidentified plates today and your input would be appreciated.
There was a California poet with the name Bernice Long Wright. Perhaps this was her plate. Do any of you know the artist whose initials are R L (click on image to enlarge).
If you have unidentified bookplates send me a scan and I will try to assist you.The Reed bookplate is signed FZ. Can anyone identify the artist or the owner ?



I have scanned several unidentified bookplates and hope that one of you may know something about them. The Montgomery plate is signed Fox . Cursory Google searches were not very helpful.There is something hauntingly addictive about the image.I paid far too much to obtain it because I was drawn to it like a magnet.
Update 12/1/2008
Fellow bookplate enthusiast Jim Lewis sent me the following note:
"There was a Montgomery Major who was a big shot in the chess world sometime back...
Could that strange looking person in the plate be reaching for a chess piece just out of view ?"
I tend to focus on American and English bookplates but there are many active collectors in the rest of the world . The link below will give you access to bookplate news from around the world.
http://www.fisae.org/news_from_everywhere.html

No comments: