Saturday, July 04, 2009

Loose Boards , Loose Screws and Watch Papers

Loose Boards- I often ask dealers if they have a box of loose boards . sometimes they are a good source for finding bookplates.It paid off yesterday . I found a loose board with a covered bookplate. The image below was the way the loose board appeared before I soaked off the Berkeley Divinity School plate and exposed the armorial plate for the third Lord Carbery whose surname is Evans(F9980).




When I got home my watch papers had arrived and I started examining them .Watch papers were printed on larger sheets with multiple copies which could be cut to size as needed. The jewelers noted the repair date on the reverse side before inserting placing them into the watch.It reminds me of the dated lube stickers mechanics put on your car door frame. New watch papers were put in without removing the old ones and the dated paper trail is very helpful.





The reverse side of the Stowell watch paper











This very crude print was of particular interest. From a quick Google search I learned that Ireland Depot , Mass. was active from 1847 to 1850.






"The first post office in the area was called Ireland and was established June 3, 1822, with Martin Chapin as first postmaster. It was discontinued in 1883. Another post office called Ireland Depot was established February 26, 1847, with John M. Chapin as first postmaster and had its name changed to Holyoke (with George Whittle as first postmaster) March 14, 1850."





My guess is that Mr. Taber did the crude engraving himself.





Loose Screws- When I got home Mary informed me that Sarah Palin had resigned as governor of Alaska. Many of the pundits seem to think she has a few loose screws. My take is completely different. I suppose it is possible another shoe will drop:Palin and Larry Craig are Facebook buddies or something beyond my imagination; however, I think the decision was driven by economics. Her salary as governor is $150,000 per year. On the lecture circuit she can get that in one evening. In addition, her book deal will bring in many millions. This will also enable her to spend more time with her family and pursue whatever her goals might be. It makes good sense to me .

See you next week

























1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lewis, It's nice to know that others appreciate the delicate watch papers used in the nineteenth century. We have just added some wonderful examples to the collection at the American Antiquarian Society.