Sunday, December 19, 2010

Yesterday's Mail and Serendipity

Several weeks ago fellow collector David Lowden mentioned a new book about the bookplates of CFA Voysey. I was going to order it eventually. A big package arrived from The Bookplate Society yesterday and much to my surprise it contained the Voysey Book along with a copy of The Bookplate Journal. The book is very informative and I am delighted to own it. It was the annual book selection for members. For those of you who do not belong to The Bookplate Society www.bookplatesociety.org I can only tell you that it is an organization which every serious collector should join.

Yesterday morning I was examining this plate for Arnold A. Greig ,signed by George Bailey and wondering who Mr. Bailey was. When I started reading my copy of The Bookplate Journal I did a double take when I saw a well researched article about George Bailey written by John Blatchly.
This bookplate by J.W.Spenceley also arrived yesterday.It was purchased on Ebay. .It turns out that this plate was nearly completed in 1908 when Spenceley died;However, the owner had it printed so I guess you could say this was his last bookplate.

That's about all for this week . Merry Christmas !
See you next Sunday.


No comments: