Sunday, September 03, 2006

Baltimore And Bookplates


On Saturday September 2nd, I attended the Baltimore Maryland book and antique show but did not find any bookplate treasures .

I did; however, buy a red enamel sign which struck my fancy.It measures 4 inches wide by 6 inches high.The dealer who sold it to me had some fanciful story about it's provenance which did not make sense . Perhaps one of you out there can translate it for me. I would be most appreciative.

While on the subject of Baltimore let me take you on a bookplate tour of people and places starting with the owner. That's right , the owner , Benedict Leonard Baltimore who lets you know in no uncertain terms that he is the "Absolute Lord and Proprietary of the Provinces of Maryland and Avalon in America " He turned over the family business to his son Charles Calvert , the 5th Baron of Baltimore .

Fast forward about 170 years and we get to John J. Kincaid who I am told ran a bar and restaurant in Baltimore. I need do do more research about this . I suspect the artist was Raymond Oscar Evans who worked at the Baltimore American around 1914.

Dorsey Potter Tyson (1891-1969) was an etcher who lived in Baltimore and did a powerful plate for William E. Bauer , about whom I have no information at this time.

Robert Garrett (1875-1961) was an investment banker who sat on the board of Princeton University.His bookplate was designed by G.E. Stone

Baltimore is a book friendly town , well worth a visit if you plan to be in the area.Here is the contact information for a well run bookstore I found on the way back to the train station.
Clayton Fine Books, 317 North Charles St, Tel 410 752 6800

That's all for now.

No comments: