Sunday, June 15, 2008

Hand Written Names On Books

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbookplatemavenQQfrppZ50QQfsopZ32QQfsooZ2QQrdZ0
Link to my Ebay items. Some bookplates plus an odd assortment of things. In the 18th and early 19th centuries bookplates were primarily used by people of means. That did not stop students and the less affluent from creating their own bookplates on the inside front cover or the first blank endpaper. Here are some distinctive examples.
Click on images to enlarge -The image above is not a bookplate . It is hand written ephemera in a book.The Lords Prayer done in the space of a ten cent piece by someone in
Pottsville , Pennsylvania
General George Meade did go to school in Philadelphia but the name is not unusual so I have no way of determining if this was his signature.
I had to look at the Sarah Lawrence plate under a magnifying glass to make sure it was not printed.
Maria Reigart lived in Lancaster Pennsylvania around 1825





Probably done with Oak gall or some other highly acidic ink which ate through the paper.

George Benson went on to become an attorney in Baltimore Maryland.

Last night I listed an odd assortment of items on Ebay.From bookplates to an apparatus for playing duplicate Whist. I will continue to add additional items throughout the dayThere is a link to my Eay items at the top of the page.
See you next week.

2 comments:

... said...

this is fascinating! thanks for sharing this information...you are a steward of history!

HP 4600 toner said...

What nostalgia. That’s lovely. The handwriting of all the books is fabulous. I wish I could write like that. My handwriting is terrible. I don’t even understand what I write. I’m jealous of people who have clear and organized handwriting. Look at me, in stand of compliment these beautiful bookplates. I’m complaining at my handwriting. The
Bottom line is that this is wonderful. I think I’m more familiar now with the history of bookplates. Thank you