Sunday, November 29, 2009

Theatrical Bookplates Act Two

My plan is to continue posting theatrical bookplates for several more weeks and hope you will keep sending me scans to include on future postings. Send them to
Many thanks to Chris for sending the Eva Le Gallienne scan and to Karen for sending me information about the Antioch universal plate used by Larry Gelbart ( by my definition theatrical includes TV) Let's start with the mystery bookplate used by D. McK. W. For all I know he or she could have been the head usher at the Dewey theatre in Brooklyn but something about the plate suggests celebrity. Does anyone recognize the name
Eva Le Gallienne's bookplate was designed by Waslav Richard Rychtarik in 1926.It features a quotation from Ibsen
( Listen to Fred DuPrez preform)
Like I said last week unless you are a theatre buff many of these celebrities may be unknown to you so biographical links, where available, are included

Frank Fay with his first wife Barbara Stanwyck
Last week I posted a bookplate for his wife Florence Eldridge

The universal plate used by Larry Gelbart was originally distributed by Antioch Bookplate and is still available from Bookplate Ink.Follow this link for ordering information:

And now a brief commercial message from your sponsor-
When the mood strikes me I sell duplicates on Ebay. Some are theatrical but they run the gamut from angling to armorial. Here is a link:
See you next week.
Email received from fellow bookplate collector, Jim Lewis
"This is probably way off the track, but when I saw the D McK W bookplate on your blog my brain immediately said
"David McKay Williams", who was director of music many years ago at NYC's famed Riverside Church - but why the masks on a musician's plate? Must be someone else."

No comments: