Saturday, May 29, 2010

Polo Players On Bookplates

Rebecca Eschliman sent me the image of a universal bookplate originally distributed by Alfred Stenzel &Co , a firm which was purchased by The Antioch Bookplate Company in 1936.
Click onImages To Enlarge You do not have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that Windsor HoldenWhite was of the landed gentry. Here is what I found out about him at http://www.thepeerage.com/

" Windsor Holden White was the son of Windsor T. White.1 He married Jean Kathleen Mary Fielding, daughter of Sir Charles William Fielding and Florence Dixon, on 12 July 1944.1 He died in 1976.1 Windsor Holden White lived at Polo Cottage, Midhurst, Sussex, England.1 He lived at 10 Lowndes Court, London, England.1
Citations
[S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 1, page 1086. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition "

His bookplate was designed by D.W.V (unknown to me) in 1933 and engraved by A.N. Macdonald. (# 431 Edith A. Rights )

UPDATE 5/31/1010 Edith Anderson Rights most thoughtfully has advised me that the artist was Delia White Vail , Windsor Holden White's sister. For those of you who belong to The Bookplate Society, refer to newsletter vol.19 #1 (March 1997) for an article by Mrs. Rights about the artist.

I assume Thomas Holden White was in some way related to Windsor Holden White.His plate was designed by Cora White who I believe was his daughter.





I have not located any information about James Meckley Potts yet. The designer of his bookplate, Eleanor Barté was a children's book illustrator.




Carlyle S.Baer was an attorney in Washington and was also the director of The American Society of Bookplate Collectors and Designers for over thirty years. I have a duplicate of the orange woodcut plate shown above and it is currently one of the items I have listed on Ebay.The artist is unknown to me.



Bookplate and Ephemera collectors are encouraged to send me a paragraph or two about their collections for inclusion in my blog. Send your information to Bookplatemaven@hotmail.com

See you next Sunday.








No comments: