Saturday, May 22, 2010

Two Mystery Purchases

This early comic strip was done by Henry Meyer (1868-1953).Was he the H.M. who years later designed the bookplate for Helen Sewall ?

The 1.75 in. wide by 5.5 in. long brass strip with four different rosettes shown below was purchased on Ebay.The seller was told it was used by a bookbinder for gilding book spines.Two very knowledgeable friends have their doubts.I purchased it as a decorative object which will be displayed on a wall with similar items.



I was was delighted to find this one yesterday. The artist's initials are HM. I have been looking through all sorts of reference books with one lead. On page 25 in The Rise of the Bookplate by Bowdoin there is a reference to a Henry Mayer. In searching Google I found an American illustrator , cartoonist named Henry Mayer and I have copied an early example of his work above.

A Google search of the owner's name ,Helen Sewall leads me to believe she might have been a book illustrator. Beyond that I could use your help. Let me know if you have any additional knowledge about these mystery purchases. Bookplatemaven@hotmail.com
See you next week.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5/28/2010 Last night I listed 11 bookplates on EBay.I will add a few more this evening.
Here is a link :





1 comment:

Lew Jaffe said...

Dear Cathy,
Thanks for taking the time to assist me.The owner of the bookplate spells her last name Sewall so it is not from the library of the Children's book illustrator.