Sunday, April 15, 2012

This Week In Bookplates 4/14/2012- Part Two

This is another plate purchased from  Black Swan books during the A.B.A.A show
. I believe it to be English and Mr.Cameron appears to be an entomologist.
.The meaning of the other strange illustrations is unknown to me.

4/19/2012- Fellow Collector Anthony Pincott has sent the following additional information:
" Cedric W Cameron as Cedric Wilson Cameron (1891-1957). He was born in West Derbyshire, married twice, in 1914 and 1937, and died aged 65 at Liskeard, Cornwall, but I have not located any books by him, nor anything more about him."


I bought the red plate from  Gary Austin at the "Shadow Show"
Gary  will be promoting a book show in Buffalo, New York on May 19th and 20th 
Here is a link with more information::
In spite of the unsightly black imprints it is one of the nicest universal bookplates I have ever seen. I wish I knew more about the artist and the company that sold them. This must have been in a sales catalog


Tom Boss had many tempting bookplates.Two of the plates I purchased from him were English.
The engraved plate for Torrence Hunt was done by A. J. Downey

The engraved plate for Sybil Waller was done by her father  Pickford Waller.




I do not remember who sold me the engraved plate for Junius Penny Smith. Does anyone out there
know who designed it ?




The Sandhill Farm- Life School plate was drawn by Philip O. Palmstrom in 1921

If you are a regular reader you may recall that I am particularly interested in Judaica bookplates.
The Jewish Theological Seminary.  has digitized an enormous collection of Judaica bookplates.
It is overwhelming and I am only halfway through volume one.
Here is a link:



Next week I plan to write about angling bookplates. If you have a favorite angling plates and would like it
included in the posting please send a scan to    Bookplatemaven@hotmail.com
See you next Sunday.



2 comments:

C.E. Gaudet said...

Regarding Cedric W. Cameron's bookplate, I might suggest he would likely have been an Egyptologist, as opposed to an entomologist, given the scarab-like qualities and symmetrical wingspan of the insect drawings.

And while I can't really see any masonic imagery there, the checkerboard pattern and arrangement does remind me of masonic design.

His palindromic monogram seems to have inspired in him a sense of symmetry, not only in the overall layout, but in that many of the individual icons have an awkward symmetry that makes me look very hard to make sure that what appears to be one thing made of two identical halves isn't actually two identical things staring each other in the face.

NancyinNJ said...

My Grandfather, PO Palmstrom drew the plate you show above. He was an artist and illustrator living in outside Boston. I new he had illustrated many books, but I was not aware he'd done bookplate designs...so this was a nice accidental discovery.