Friday, August 10, 2012

Collector Profile Thomas C. S- Wixon

Several months ago I was contacted by Thomas C.S-Wixon .He explained that most of his bookplate collection had been destroyed during hurricane Katrina. He was particularly interested in obtaining a copy of the 18th century American bookplate for John Pintard (Allen#686) , one of his ancestors.
If you can assist him he can be reached at  twixon@gmail.com


After several discussions I realized he was a  not only a bookplate collector but also a collector of seals.
These "chops" were used in China on scrolls,manuscripts and official documents hundreds (perhaps thousands) of years before bookplates appeared in Germany . He also is an active collector of miniature books and art pottery.Here is a newspaper article about these varied interests.
http://blog.gulflive.com/mississippi-press-living/2012/07/the_wixon_collection_miniature.html






" I have over 200 hundred seals (will let it go at that!). The seal I am holding is an 18th century Imperial household bronze seal. One of my best, historically.  I was given the Chinese name "Sage Falcon" because my surname: Sokolosky has the root word of Falcon. So my main "bookplate" seal is "From the library of the Sage Falcon". For special books I have one that reads "A Treasure from the library of the Sage Falcon".

                                               The Image shown above is used in my favorite  books


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                   Links Worth Visiting


The American Society of  Bookplate Collectors and Designers has an updated website with useful information
http://bookplate.org/

Exlibris land has updated it's bookplate exchange website.
http://www.exlibrisland.com/


From My Crest Collection

From time to time I have been purchased small crest collections
.I really know very little about this hobby and was pleased to find this website.


That's about all I have for this week..See you next Sunday.



No comments: