Monday, September 09, 2013

Part Of My Want List- Bookplates Used By Famous People

I've probably mentioned in the past that I am always looking for bookplates from the libraries of famous people from any country. This is usually  a challenging  hunt but from time to time I come up with a winner.
Last week I obtained one of Edith Wharton's bookplates..She had several .
This one was designed by D. B. Updike at the Merrymount Press.

Here are a few more from my want list








Green Bookplate was used by King Farouk







At the top of my list is William Jefferson Clinton. I call it my holy grail. He has used at least two different bookplates that I know of.The most recent one was designed when some of his books were damaged after a flood in his Westchester County home. 

The trouble is that he is difficult to reach.  His firewalls have firewalls .The one time I shook his hand at a book signing I was too intimidated to ask and the moment passed. Oh well, hope springs eternal.

See you again on Sunday.

No comments: