Saturday, July 22, 2006

Japanese Bookplate Blog


Click On Image To Enlarge
Yahoo!??? - ?????? Link To Japanese Blog

I tend to write about, and collect bookplates from America but there is far more interest in bookplates throughout Asia and Europe then there is here in the states. Several days ago I wrote about a Chinese bookplate site and just this morning I discovered a Japanese bookplate blog.

Click on the link above and clck away in the column on the left side when you get there. The text is in Japanese but the site contains many images of contemporary bookplates, from Europe and Japan

There is an excellent book about Japanese bookplates , EXLIBRIS JAPAN by Cliff Parfit, an English collector who lived in Japan for many years. It is very well illustrated and I assume it can be tracked down on ABE

If any Japanese collectors read this posting and wish to exchange duplicates with American collectors I would be glad to include your contact information .

The image at the top of the blog comes from the 1939 YearBook Of The American Society Of Bookplate Collectors And Designers

That's all for today.

Whoops-It's Sunday morning and I just noticed a charming bookplate on Ebay which amused me.I've added the Puss N Boots scan (opus #129 by Kapy Tarus) because it reinforces what I was trying to convey last night.This plate appears to come from Turkey.If I am incorrect, please let me know.There is a great deal of creative energy in bookplate design, all over the world, that needs to be publicized.

2 comments:

Steve said...

I thought I would pass along this link to the work of Leonid Roslov who developed his carving skill on surplus boot heels while in the Russian army. I met him when he was a machinist the Russian satellite manufacturer NPO-PM in Krasnoyarsk-26. I understand he does commissions at reasonable fees -- and I can highly recommend is skill and design artistry. You've touched on bookplates from most other major countries, might as well add Russia to the list.

Olli Ylönen said...

The bookplate by a Finnish artist Käpy Tarus, for a Finnish collector (who also has designed exlibris) Kyllikki Salkesaari.
As Finnish names don't always reveal it: both are ladies.

Olli Ylönen