Sunday, July 09, 2006

Rockwell Kent,New Wife, New Bookplate


Click on Images To Enlarge

Click on images to enlarge


Click On Images to Enlarge

Click On Images To Enlarge


Most people today do not use bookplates, so for those of you who just stumbled upon this site it may come as a surprise to find out that some people have thirty or more bookplates.They are usually bookplate collectors who want to have a variety of items for exchange with other collectors .
I have used the same bookplate for ten years and and just recently commisioned a new Meerkat bookplate .

Today , I will focus on owners who have several bookplates which were used in their libraries.

Let's start with Charles William Beebe (1877-1962) the American ornithologist , explorer,and author. He had at least three bookplates that I know of and perhaps more .

The least attractive one was done by Sara B. Hill (18?-1950).


Stephen Vincent Benet, (1898-1943) , the American poet and author had a juvenile bookplate which was used around 1911 and at least one adult plate. The quotation on the adult plate is by William Butler Yates. The latin phrase on the juvenile plate translates as follows: Gentle in manner resolute in execution


Witter Bynner, (1881-1968), the American poet had two I know of.


Erle Stanley Gardner (1889-1970) American writer and lawyer best known for his Perry Mason stories, had two plates that I know about.


Rockwell Kent , (1882-1971) American writer , painter, illustrator had three bookplates, one for each marriage.The earliest plate (Kathleen and Rockwell) was done by his friend John Sloan
Ref. P.19 Rockwell Kent The Art of the bookplate

Gertrude Lawrence, (1902-1952) The English actress and singer had two bookplates. The first was probably designed in England in the 193o's and the second was used after her marriage to Richard Stoddard Aldrich.

Benito Mussolini ,(1883-1945) had two wood cut bookplates designed by Bruno da Osimo for use in his library.*

*Ref.p241 The world of Ex-Libris (vol.2) edited by Benoit Junod

Joseph Priestley ,(1733-1804), English clergyman and chemist who lived in America for many years. Among his many accomplishments he discovered the properties of Oxygen.

His armorial plate is listed in American Bookplates by Charles Dexter Allen ( #702 )

His pictorial plate by Josiah Allen is listed on page two in The Artists and Engravers of British and American Bookplates by H.W. Fincham

That's all for now.



3 comments:

Debra Young said...

What a great find your site is! I've always had an affection for bookplates, had no idea they were (are) collectible, but for me, I'd simply take pleasure in having them as a part of my personal library. d:)

Giancarlo said...

Hello Mr Jaffe,
thanks for your note.

I'd like to publish a presentation of your blog on my news site:
1 - why, when, how, did you set it up?
2 - who are you (I know you as a member of the ex libris list, yes, what I ask
is a short introduction), where do you live
3 - what's your blog all about?

(you aren't under obligation to do anything, of course)

With kind regards,
Giancarlo Nicoli
==============
Artifex, publishing house
www.artifexlibris.com

Lew Jaffe said...

Dear Mr. Giancarlo,
I will try to respond to your questions .The blog was started in June 2006 ,on impulse.Google makes it easy to begin, even if you are a 69 year old Philadelphian with limited computer skills.
Once started, I realized that I had much to say and that the whole process brings me great pleasure and satisfaction.
Your question "what's your blog about ?" is difficult to answer.
My interest is primarily in American and English Exlibris and that is reflected in the topics I choose.The word quirky probably fits well in describing my style.
Thank you for taking the time to write me.
Lew Jaffe