Monday, July 31, 2006

CONTEST NUMBER THREE and LOTS OF LABELS


CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE These are some of my favorite bookseller labels.I know a little about some of them and will insert whatever information I can .If you have additional information or want to enter the contest you can either post a comment or send an email to Bookplatemaven AT HOTMAIL DOT COM

John Brady - Baltimore around 1824
J.P.Parke - sold medical books in Philadelphia around 1840
Vandenhoeck/Richmond- London

Paul Elder- Jim Lewis was kind enough to send me the following information: "The bookplate for
Paul Elder is for his bookshop in San Francisco.As I recall, he had two shops, both designed by Bernard Maybeck.
The first went down in 1906, and then Maybeck designed a second establishment after the fire was out. Elder had a publishing program and a lot of his books were printed by John Henry Nash,who also did printing for William A. Clark and Hearst."
If you go to WWW.paulelder.org and then click on "what is tomoye " you will find additional information about Paul Elder's labels.


By way of explanation , every morning I check my ratings at www.technorati.com and am pleased to say my blog ranking is now 288,014 . At the same time, I check to see who else has made blog entries about exlibris.
This morning, I found a blog entry in Cyrillic which did not pertain to bookplates but did have an amusing picture of a pussy cat aiming a rifle. I have posted the image(scroll down to To Put A Smile On Your Face) .
I can not relocate the Russian site so my sincere apologies to the site owner.

To enter the contest send me a caption for the photo. The contest will end at midnight August 31st and the winner will receive a copy of The Art Of The Bookplate by James Keenan.

I will be posting all kinds of labels from booksellers, printers , bookbinders and others throughout the day.

If this subject interests you, the following link is a delight:

Http://Sevenroads.org/Bookish.html

1 comment:

Barbara Malcolm said...

Dear Lew,
I remembered this post about book shop labels from way back and was reminded to post a note her today as I bought an Australian Collectors Magazine just now with an article on the topic.
I've scanned the three pages and made same size .pdfs of the pages, these are too large to email so I've uploaded to my server in NYC for any of your fellow bookplate fans to download and read.
www.co-opones.to/male/viewer/images/1-bookshoplabels.pdf
www.co-opones.to/male/viewer/images/2-bookshoplabels.pdf
www.co-opones.to/male/viewer/images/3-bookshoplabels.pdf
Cheers from downunder - mal E
Malcolm Enright