

In 1939 A. Herry designed a charming bookplate for Greta Garbo and he captured her essence with great skill. The bookplate is in my collection and I enjoy looking at it but it may be one of those" honorarium" exlibris. I just do not know.
The term honorarium is used when a designer creates a bookplate for a celebrity without the knowledge or consent of the subject.Many bookplate designers, to this day, engage in this sort of shell game.
I designed a bookplate for Greta Garbo. The fact that she never asked me to design it is irrelevant. It impresses potential clients. .
Perhaps I am being too cynical. There may very well be some designers who do these sorts of plates out of respect for and as a tribute to someone they greatly admire.
Here is another plate from my collection that may very well be in the honorarium category -Josephine Baker by Attilio Cavallini (1888-1948)
That's all for today.
No comments:
Post a Comment